Thursday, November 1, 2012

The Curve Is More Powerful Than The Sword

I have not really been interested in Burlesque, but have inevitably noticed that it has became more and more popular and is often also noted also in mainstream media.


Today I went to listen a lesson about the history of Burlesque at Arbis library and I am glad I did. This event was part of Nordic Culture Festival Ting.


Lesson was held by Bettie Blackheart "Queen Of The Firetassles", who is among the top Finnish burlesque performers and has been taught by the legendary Satans Angel, who was the originator of fire tassel twirling.


Bettie is the founder of the Finnish Institute of Burlesque (Suomen Burleski-instituutti) and has been one of the few people bringing this scene to Finland. Her lesson was catching with lots of history, theory and photoes of different styles and artists.


Bettie got me somewhat interested about the scene so the next thing I am going to do is to see the movie Tournee (On Tour) and then maybe go and see The Helsinki Burlesque Festival in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment