Friday, August 17, 2012

Summer Festivals

As I am not a huge fan of festivals, these urban city festivals suit me well. My favourite in Helsinki is Flow Festival with interesting artist lineup, stylish decoration, well-funtioning arrangements and easy access.
Flow 2012














My first ever Flow experience was few hours at the festival back in 2008. It was pouring rain and I saw only Astrid Swan,who is one of my favourite Finnish artists and little bit of Sebastien Tellier, but that was it.

Astrid Swan 2008
Sebastien Tellier 2008


















Other Flow years have succeeded better both for the weather and amount of artists I have managed to see.

Flow 2010












In 2010 Flow lineup was just amazing: The xx, Junip, Robyn, MIA, Girls, The Drums, Beach House and Broken Bells.

Robyn 2010
Robyn 2010
The xx 2010
Last year's hightlights for me were Janelle Monáe and First Aid Kit as Lykke Li unfortunately cancelled in the last minute.

First Aid Kit 2011
Janelle Monáe 2011














Flow has great great selection of artists when combining bookings with Way Out West in Gothenburg and Øya Festivalen in Oslo.

WOW in Gothenburg

But for some reason we do not always get all the same artists to Helsinki, like in 2009 when Arctic Monkeys were in playing in Sweden, but did not come to Finland. Well, that was good enough reason for me to travel to Gothenburg instead.

Arctic Monkeys at Way Out West 2009
Besides my favourite Arctic Monkeys I saw several great acts such as Lily Allen, Antony and The Johnsons, Glasvegas, Beirut, Jenny Wilson, Timo Räisänen and discovered a new one Florence And The Machine, whom I absolute adore and have seen 2 other times afterwards.

Lily Allen 2009
Antony and The Johnsons 2009
Jenny Wilson 2009
Florence 2009


















Glasvegas 2009
But my first ever WOW was 2008 and the second year in the whole festivals history already with marvellous lineup: my first ever The National gig, Grinderman, Franz Ferdinad and it was then I first discovered brilliant Joan As Police Woman.

Nick Cave 2008
Joan2008



And of course there are so many good local artists playing in Swedish festivals, like in 2008 Way Out West had José González, Frida Hyvönen, Håkan Hellström and Broder Daniel.

Håkan Hellström 2008
Other Swedish Festivals I have been to were 2011 Where The Action Is with Coldplay, Bright Eyes, The Ark, Brandon Flowers and Glasvegas in Gothenburg

Coldplay 2011
Bright Eyes 2011
Ola Salo 2011






















And later the same year Popaganda with Arcade Fire, Midlake, The Cults, Junip, Jenny Wilson, Säkert! and Lykke Li in Stockholm.

Arcade Fire 2011
Midlake 2011
Lykke Li 2011
What a great area to have a music festival by the outside swimming pool Erikdalsbadet.

Popaganda in Stockholm 2011
And now this year we had yet another fantastic new festival in Helsinki Garden Party. Although Charlotte Gainsbough cancelled the overall impression of the festival and its arrangements was very positive. And of course Regina Spektor was wonderful.

Garden Party Helsinki 2012
Hope that there will be new Garden Party next year! 

And the artist I would love to see on next year's Helsinki city festivals in Bat For Lashes!





No comments:

Post a Comment