Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Rufus Rufus Rufus

Rufus Wainwright is definately one of the most original and talented artists today. I adore his lazy singing and versatile style. And he totally nails Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah - not that many artists that can do it.

 

The new Out Of The Game tournee started from Denmark on 23rd April and I treated myself with a ticket.I had only heard the title song from the new album and really liked it. What a perfect excuse to visit wonderful Copenhagen at the same time.


The one and only time I had seen Rufus live was after the album All Days Are Nights: Songs For Lulu was released and that was a great concert. So the whole weekend I was getting into the mood and reading Rufus articles with my not-so-fluent Danish.
















And finally Monday came!

Falconer Salen with auditorium seating was cozy place for this kind of concert. Officially the tournee started here, but Rufus and the band had been doing few researchal gigs in London the week before. 

There were many songs I heard the first time and need to listen them a little bit more. New songs that caught my mind were The Song About You, which was dedicated to his partner Jörn, Bitter Tears and Sometimes You Need. And I was so happy the hear the old hits such as Going To Town.

As I have not totally gotten into the new album I must admit I liked more the Helsinki Culture House gig in 2010.Now there were the whole band ie. 8 people in the stage besides Rufus and they got quite much stage time. Helsinki solo concert was much more intimate and there was more time for Rufus. But he is such an adorable character and I just love his jokes and humourous talking between the songs.   

Rufus Wainwright 2012

Although Rufus is sovereign, Martha still remains my no. 1 favourite of the Wainwright family. Hope that she goes on tour soon!




No comments:

Post a Comment