Monday, June 18, 2012

Football, Bloody Hell!

Sports I do not understand anything and follow very little and selective sampling of it.


Of all sports I am the most keen on football and I enjoy watching international games and championships every now and then. That is only for fun and I do not take it so seriously as there always is a new year, new championships and new winners. Currently I am following certain matches of the most interesting teams (Sweden, Spain and England) in Euro 2012.


As Finnish football is not in that high level I usually support our neighbour country Sweden. Last autumn I went to see Finland - Sweden Euro 2012 qualifying match and it was very entertaining (despite of the heavy rain) and did end with Sweden winning 1-2.

One Zlatan (Swe) and five Finnish players
I like following the big characters and interesting personas and in Swedish team my favourite player is Zlatan Ibrahimović. I am currently reading his memoir, which really gives comprehensive story how he has played all the way from Malmö's Rosengård as one of the top earning football players in the world.



Few other players whose career I have been following are Fernando Torres and Carlos Tevez. But my all time favourite football player is of course David Beckham. Unfortunately I have never seen him (playing) live, but otherwise I have followed his actions closely and can proudly admit seeing Sleeping Beckham ie. video "David" by Sam Taylor-Wood several times. Well, you got to admire how David has managed to brand himself and build a business imperium around his imago so that leaves even his football career on the side.


Beckham is all in
Elle's July issue is a must buy. It was just too difficult to choose between the two covers...
I am not that active in going to matches, have only seen a couple of Finland's qualifying games for European Championships and some local matches. But I would really like to see some good foreing matches and the big names playing. Normally the football season stops in the spring so I miss all the games during my summer holidays so I have only done tour in empty Santiago Bernabeu stadium back in 2005 when Beckham played in Real Madrid.  

Estadio Santiago Bernabeu in Madrid

Well, maybe I should travel to see an interesting football match somewhere in Europe instead of my usual concert trips. And Beckham is currently playing for LA Galaxy in Los Angeles, which would be a tempting destination... 

No comments:

Post a Comment