Saturday, June 23, 2012

Testing Boulevard Social

As a huge fan of restaurants Gaijin and Farang I could not wait to test the new restaurant Boulevard Social by the same owners.



Whereas Gaijin and Farang concentrate more on Asian dishes, Boulevard Social's flavours come from Mediterranean and North Africa. Otherwise the concept is similar with tasty small dishes to be shared. The bistro itself has simple decoration and is yet somewhat cramped and noisy. 



We wanted to taste several dishes and therefore chose Menu Boulevard. Currently I am very much into African and Middle East kitchen as there are so many new exciting flavours to be discovered.

First course was really tasty mussels with harissa and maybe my favourite one of the 8 courses served. Also mint flavoured lamb chops were tasty, but in general I had expected little bit more taste of the meat dishes onm the menu.

Overall I was not that impressed as my expectation were high and I waited for something more adventurous and astonishing. Now I must say that the dishes were quite regular and not that vivid. Maybe I was extra hungry, but I did not think that the portions were that big either.

Pan fried salmon (for 3)
Shish kebab (for 3)
Well, Gaijin remains my favourite of the Tomi Björk & Matti Wikberg's restaurant family, but I will give Boulevard Social yet another try later this summer. And I still think that Turkish restaurant Antiokia Atabar at Eerikinkatu serves the best hummus in Helsinki.



No comments:

Post a Comment