Saturday, March 17, 2012

My Favourite Music From Sweden

So much great music comes from Sweden and especially from young talented female artists. I have been lucky to live in Sweden and hear many of my favourites live. Some of new Swedish artists are also popular in Finland, but here their concerts often have much smaller venues and less audience. So therefore it can be quite rewarding to see these artists in small clubs with intimate atmosphere. Korjaamo's Svenska Talande Klubben is really active in importing Swedes to play in Helsinki and their ticket prices are reasonable!


Swedish band that I have liked the longest time must be The Ark. It all started from Tavastia gig in 2005 and I guess I saw nearly 20 gigs before the band quit in 2011. Ola Salo's performances besides The Ark I have seen also in Jesus Christ Superstar musical in Malmö and in concert with Swedish Radio's Symphony Orchestra in Stockholm.
The Ark at Tavastia in March 2011
Talking about Swedish male vocalists one needs to mention Moto Boy i.e. Oskar Humlebo. His delicate, clear and beautiful voice together with haunting lyrics is totally stunning. I adore him!


Other favourite guys are José González, Timo Räisänen, Lars Winnerbäck and Håkan Hellström. And yet another interesting artist is Prince of Assyria. Totally magnificent first album, but songs did not work that well when performed live.

Elin Ruth Sigvardsson is one of my favourite artists. She released her third album A Fiction in 2008. At the time I had just moved to Göteborg and knew I would like her just after reading an interview from Gaffa. After that I booked the concert tickets to Storan and bought the album before I even had heard any of her music. And when I started listening A Fiction I immediately fell in love with the music. There are two amazing songs on that album: Antidote and How You Dug Your Own Grave.
My first ever Elin Ruth Sigvardsson gig in February 2008

While living in Sweden I discovered lots of female singer-songwriters that were then new to me: Annika Norlin (Säkert! and Hello Saferide), Melissa Horn, Sophie Zelmani, Frida Hyvönen, Jenny Wilson, Jennie Abrahamson, Maia Hirasawa, Frida Öhrn (Oh Laura), Britta Persson and the Söderberg sisters (The First Aid Kit). And some of them I already knew before, like Eva Dahlgren, Lisa Ekdahl, Anna Ternheim, Nina Persson (The Cardigans and A Camp), Anna Järvinen, Lykke Li and Veronica Maggio. Of course there are lots of other good singers, but I am just listings my favourites.

Listen: Oh Laura The Mess You Left Behind

Jenny Wilson's live shows are always dashing
And then there is Ane Brun, who actually is Norwegian, but living in Sweden so I guess I can add her into the list. I have little bit mixed feeling about her voice. In her first albums it is too country-like for me, but I love the latest album and she was awesome live when performing these new songs at Tavastia in the end of 2011. Lovely duet Worship by Ane Brun feat. José González:


Things to keep on eye during 2012:
- Frida Hyvönen releasing a new album in April and coming to play in Korjaamo in May. First single Terribly Dark is already out.
- Coming concerts at Korjaamo's Svenska Talande Klubben
- Thåström gig at Tavastia in April
- Also in Tavastia TSOOL ie. The Soundtrack of Our Lives
- Theatre play Lubiewo-Kärleksön at Göteborg City Theatre with music composed by Moto Boy, who is even performing in the play. He is also recording a new album, which I am really excited about!
- Ane Brun coming to Flow Festival in August
- Ola Salo performing Jesus Christ Superstar in Stockholm (spring is already sold out, but there are tickets for the autumn)
- And all Finnish summer festival guests such as The Cardigans and Veronica Maggio in Ruisrock
- Plus hopefully much more new songs, artists, bands and gigs

Ending this post with Kajsa Grytt Allt faller


2 comments:

  1. The Ark ♥ Itse rakastuin vuonna 2001, ja oli aika hienoa saada päätös fanitukselle 10 vuotta myöhemmin. Tai siis hieno päätös, itse Arkin uran päättyminen ei tietystikään ollut mitenkään järjettömän kivaa. Toisaalta, ei niiden musiikki loppuaikoina enää kiinnostanut niin, ja keikoillakin meininki oli vähän väsähtänyttä verrattuna alkuaikoihin, joten parempi lopettaa huipulla. :)

    Ruotsista tulee kyllä hillittömästi hyvää musiikkia. Ykkönen tuosta maasta lienee kaikesta huolimatta aina ja ikuisesti Kent. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Ark on mieletön, varsinkin ensimmäiset levyt. Olen samaa mieltä, että loppua kohden meno alkoi vähän hiipua ja parempi lopettaa ajoissa. Tosin viime vuoden päätöskiertueella oli fiilis katossa. Toivotaan, että jäseniltä tulee kultakin mielenkiintoisia sooloprojekteja.

    Kummaa kyllä Kent ei aikoinaan kolahtanut minulle laisinkaan. Olen nyttemmin aloittanut kuuntelemaan, mutta joku siitä puuttuu, en osaa tarkemmin selittää. Joka tapauksessa Ruotsista tulee upea kattaus hyviä artisteja ja varmasti näin jatkossakin.

    ReplyDelete