Saturday, March 17, 2012

Restaurant Hopping Week

Eating is a pleasure! As I am not that great a cook I tend to eat out every now and then. Although I usually visit the same favourite restaurants, this week I managed to test quite a few new places where I had not eaten before.

I have been interested to go to Namu Food & Lounge at Makkaratalo for quite some time now and visited the restaurant on Thursday evening with a colleague. My first though was that the place is rather suitable for an After Work gathering with larger number of colleagues. The kitchen is open until 23 on Fridays and you are able to stay at the lounge afterwards so that sound like a great After Work combo.

Namu menu
All starters sounded delicious and we both ended up choosing Thai Scallops and sharing Edamame beans. However, scallops were pretty tastless. There was only sweet sauce on top, but otherwise the portion was really lame. And Sushibar has much nicer Edamame.

Thai Scallops, Edamame and Singha
So I did not have that high expectations for the main course. I ordered Tom Kha soup with chili and chicken. That was surprisingly tasty with good kick of chili and without a doubt the best part of the meal. Then again, I can get as good Thai soup also from my local Thai restaurant, but of course I should not compare. My colleague ate Tataki, which is grilled beef fillet and she was very pleased as well.

In front Tom Kha and Tataki in the back 
It was unnecessary to take a dessert as we both were full, but of course we could not resist Liquorice mousse, liquorice fudge and lemongrass marshmallow that was on the list. Well, that was not my favourite, but now I have tested it anyway.

Then came Friday and yet another After Work. This time in Ravintola Kuu in Töölö. Although I regularly walk pass the restaurant I had actually never eaten there. Very nice interior and comfortable athmosphere, not a party place, but perfect place to chill a little bit after a long working week.


I was not super hungry and since I love salmon, my choise was a small smoked salmon soup with toasted rye bread. In my opinion salmon soup would be better with cooked, not smoked salmon. Saying this, I was pleased and ate the whole portion.

Salmon soap
My frieds ate fried lavaret and beef brisket, which also were really tasty. But the best thing was the cozy place and relaxed athmosphere as well as the company of course.

Fried lavaret with and crayfish beurre blanc


Fried beef brisket
















Saturday evening I finally got to visit new Mexican fusion kitchen Shanghai Cowboy after several months of planning to go there. Place was tiny and the tables were really closed by each others so it is better not to share any secrets here. Cool, swanky place with trendy interior, which I liked a lot.


















When going to texmex or other laid back restaurants there usually is nachos on the list. Shanghai Cowboy's nachos are in totally different level. Not from supermarket, but they must be homemade or something and guacamole is mad delicious!
 
Nachos, guacamole and salsa
Main courses had really good value and taste for money. My chicken quesadilla was tasty as was vegetarian option chalupa. And both dishes were so beautiful.  

Vegetarian chalupa in the back and Chipotle chicken quesadilla in the front.
Summa summarium Shanghai Cowboy was the highlight of the week. Both the starter and main dish were gorgeous. Yet another positive thing was the reasonable price. Definitely going back again!

No comments:

Post a Comment